The coat of arms and the flag of the City of Czestochowa
The City Council resolution no. 249/XXIX/92 from June 25, 1992 established the following coat of arms of Czestochowa: a silver (white) emblem of the fortified city walls with a half-closed iron gate in the middle and seven top battlements, in a blue field. Above the gate there is a main tower with one window and a triangular roof on top. There are two side towers on the top of the battlements, each with two windows placed vertically, with three battlements and a red triangular roof on top. On the top of the right tower there is a rampant golden (yellow) lion, and on the top of the left tower there is a black raven with a loaf of bread in his beak. The lion and the raven are facing each other.
A previous coat of arms known from seal impressions from 1548, 1564 and 1646 depicted fortified city walls with seven battlements and a half-closed iron gate in the middle, elements of the main tower and two higher towers with two floors and a gothic roof on top, just like in the modern coat of arms. On the top of the right tower there was a rampant golden lion, and on the left a golden eagle with wings raised for flight.
The lion and the eagle referred to the founder – Ladislaus of Opole – the Duke of Opole (the eagle) and the Governor of Red Ruthenia (the lion).
At the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth century a griffin appeared on the seal, and in 1755 and 1778 it was replaced by the raven.
The City Council resolution no. 249/XXIX/92 from June 25, 1992 established that the Flag of the City of Czestochowa consists of two vertical bands – white (silver) on the top and blue on the bottom, with a yellow (golden) stripe in between, in proportion of 1/9 of the both bands width.